I have made a life decision today and I could not be more excited! I have decided to make a career change. I want to be a Professional Photographer. Woohoo!!! I really enjoy Photography and I am tired of my current job and decided to make a change! I will not be quitting my day job tomorrow because I still need to make money.
My plan over next 18 months:
1. Take photography classes at the community college in the fall. I need to learn more of the technical side of photography.
2. Build a portfolio. I think this means that I wil be doing some free shoots for friends/family.
3. Do lots of research about the business end of things so I can come up with a business plan.
4. Figure out what kind of photography I want to specialize in. (Children, weddings, studio, etc)
5. Become proficient in Photoshop. (Huge learning curve but I am up for the challenge). Practice, practice, practice.
6. Develop a website, blog, and logo so I can get my name out there.
There is do much to do and I am truly excited. I have always had a passion for photography but until now I've never really considered it as a career option.
Update 07/22/13. So I decided that I am definately going to take at least one photography class at the community college in the fall. I want to take 2 classes but that will depend on my schedule as I work part-time and I'm a full-time mom.
I am registered for two photography classes for the fall semester. I am taking Digital Darkroom (basically learning Photoshop) and an advanced photography class. I am so excited to take these classes but not excited about the cost. I was shocked at how much 6 credits cost at the community college. If fact tuition is literally four times the amount I paid 13 years ago. Unbelievable!!!! I can't imagine what the cost will be in 16 and a half years when my daughter will be college bound.